Friday, September 2, 2011

Making do with what we have.



Since I stopped working and hubby took a job that gives him a lot more hometime, we've had to be careful about finances. Of course, that does nothing to eliminate the "I wants".... today I wanted to edge out a small garden bed by the potting shed and I got to thinking........... Back in May we had a "probable" tornado go through our back yard and it took out a bunch of large trees and huge branches. Hubby cut them up with the chainsaw and made big stacks around the yard.




Now, we don't have a wood burner so here we are with multiple cords of wood...what to do with it all???? Hmmmm... I could go buy a woodstove, but no, that's not in the budget. Ok, we do use a firepit, but this is a LOT OF FREAKING WOOD! Hmmmm.... still thinking........ Ooooh, ooooh, I know!! Rustic garden bed edging!!!!!!


So after a day's work, and a lot of help from chickens...........


I like it! It's cute, rustic, was relatively easy and best of all.... FREE!! I still have to add some dirt and plant it up with some nice flowers, but I think it's working for me! (And Gertrude approves too, which really, is all that matters...)


1 comment:

  1. Love it! And...this goes with that 'Mom Adage' that I grew up with and hated, but adhere to often NOW~ 'use up,wear out,make do and do without.'
    I like your blog and will visit often! (I'm afraid of chickens though...it's a childhood thing. You can click my name and see my blog...somewhere in Sept. is a CHICKEN blog~ LOL

    ReplyDelete