Friday, September 2, 2011

Welcome to my blog!


So, I've decided to start a blog... yup.... gonna give it a try. I'm going to try to not have commitment issues and post to it every day... but I can't make promises that I know I won't keep! But I do promise to post to it frequently!

That picture over there to the right? That's Gertrude. She's our queen chicken, aka "dog chicken".... she follows us around the yard and loves attention! She has some other chicken buddies... 16 others to be exact.. including 3 mean roosters. (one of which also follows me around the yard giving me the hairy eyeball! Because of him, I never have a "rooster beater stick" far from me!)

We also have 3 ducks.... a Pekin (AFLAC!!) duck and 2 Fawn Indian Runner ducks. Other critters making up our "cast of critter characters" are 2 Merle Border Collies and 2 kitties. One day I hope to add some fainting goats to our menagerie, but for now I'm maxed out on time and money!

As for the people in our household... there's me, the Hubby, and the Daughter. The Daughter is 12 1/2 and is the baby of the family. The Boys have moved out (one graduates college winter 2011!!) so the people in our house are far outnumbered by critters! We're in trouble if they all get together and decide to revolt!

We live in a 200 year old farmhouse that was originally a log tavern back in the 1800's. We purchased it in the Summer of 2010 and it's been a labor of love (and sometimes frustration!) as we try to renovate and suit it to our needs. Our property is a little over 2 acres and is the reason we bought this primitive dwelling. It's my little piece of heaven and my sanctity.

Come join my adventure as I blog about my trials and tribulations with gardening, chicken farming and home renovation. There will be lots of pictures along the way!

1 comment: